One of my favourite quotes on love...


"I love you", why is it the most unoriginal thing we can say to one another is still the thing we most long to hear?. "I love you" is always a quotation. You did not say it first and neither did I, yet when you say it and when I say it we speak like savages who have found three words and worship them.

Love demands expression, it will not stay still, stay silent, be good, be modest, be seen and not heard, no. It will break out in tongues of praise, the high note that smashes the glass and spills the liquid.
Its the cliches that cause the trouble. A precise emotion seeks a precise expression. If what I feel is not precise, then should I call it love? I want the diluted version, the sloppy language, the insignificant gestures.
I was careful not to say those words too soon. I had said them many times before, dropping them like coins into a wishing well, hoping they would make me come true. I don't like to think of myself as an insecure person but if I say I love you and I don't mean it then what else am I? Will I cherish you, adore you, make way for you, make myself better for you, look at you and always see you, tell you the truth? And if love is not those things then what things?

Jeanette Winterson - Written on the body

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It has been a long long time - Boston and New York 2022

Goodbye Cooperative Bank, it was nice knowing you

Funerals and birthdays - June 2024