It has been a long long time - Boston and New York 2022

I am sitting in a coffee shop in the South End of Boston (Tremont Street), about 2 minutes’ walk from my old apartment on Worcester Square. I lived here for almost 2 years from November 2000 and have some good memories. I have not been back for 16 years.  A lot has changed, a lot has not. The ride to the hotel was much the same although main roads in Boston are almost all underground so you don't see daylight for quite some time and there is nothing fun about sitting in a traffic jam for 30 minutes underground.   I am staying in the Beacon Hill area of the city and it is a cute mix of Victorian era town houses and cobbled streets bookended by the government district and the massive Massachusetts General Hospital. I was supposed to be here with a friend who lives in Quebec but due to him being forgetful etc. he forgot the document he needed to enter the USA so I am now doing this 5 day, 4 night trip on my own, not a total disaster but a very different holiday dynamic.  Last night I was invited for dinner in Brookline with former colleagues (and their lovely partners) and despite jet lag and an extremely spicy noodle dish, it was a great evening and it didn't feel like 10+ years since we'd all seen each other. None of us really mentioned our grey hairs though we did compare facial hair. Michael C win that contest!

 

 
And a travelling tip, don't stay in a Wydham hotel if you can avoid it.  They are never as good as the reviews or the photos.  This is my 2nd bad experience in a Wyndham in 1 year and for the price of over $280 a night I'd expect more than dirty carpets, no cleaning and crap toiletries. 

Right now I am walking around and have walked 4 miles so far and the walk back will be 2-3 miles so I think a disco nap this afternoon will be called for.  

Boston is the oldest big city in the USA and does have buildings dating back to the 17th century and it also has a more European/British street layout which adds character.

 



So back to walking and shopping and probably another coffee to fight the jet-lag.

And this is my current holiday theme song:


 

 November 11th, 2022
 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Cooperative Bank, it was nice knowing you

Funerals and birthdays - June 2024