They race horses don't they...?

Today is the Grand National, one of the most famous horse races in the world. I have probably watched it every year, especially during my childhood as my grandfather loved horse racing.  I have sometimes placed a bet but though I watch it, I don't know a thing about horses or the grass or the racecourse (well I know it is near Liverpool) so I choose my horses based on the numbers I choose for the lottery and the colours.  I think most people do the same apart from serious gamblers who really follow the horses and know their speed, the weight of the teeny tiny jockeys etc. I am an amateur and have been in a betting shop about 3 times in my adult life (I went in more as a child with my grandfather). I was banned from a betting shop when I was a child (or so the story goes) because I turned off all the televisions when my grandad was in there placing a bet.  I am sure in 1973 it was illegal for me to be in there in the first place!?

One of the horses I've bet on, "No Chance At All"

So I've bet on 3 horses today, I've not been risky and placed each-way bets on them so if any of them come in the top5 I stand a chance of at least making my money back.  All I hope is that the horses finish and the teeny-tiny men riding them don't get hurt and that none of the horses end up in tomorrow's batches of glue or dog food or, if they are extra good, Tesco ready meals.

April 9, 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It has been a long long time - Boston and New York 2022

Goodbye Cooperative Bank, it was nice knowing you

Funerals and birthdays - June 2024