Gardening leave without a garden

Today is my official first day of gardening leave, a funny expression as I have no garden and I am sure many people who are on gardening leave also lack a garden or even a few plants to care for as the days pass by.

So, all firms, and departments within them need to restructure, it would make no sense to not adapt but to do so behind the mask of #Covid19 seems excessively underhand. When loyal workers are helping a firm stay afloat during the crisis, when employees are isolated from their colleagues and often isolated from their friends and family it is a hammer blow to find yourself, in the space of 3 weeks, on gardening leave and looking for a new role in the worst recession in centuries. Some people are well equipped for his new normal, some are not. But never underestimate what betraying loyalty can do to a reputation. #redundancy #pensions #unemployed #openforwork

I found out about my redundancy on July 16th, today is August 5th, it happened so fast my feet barely touched the ground and I barely had the chance to truly digest what was happening to me. A firm that I was so pleased to join in April 2019 has dumped me after 15 months in the name of a restructure that didn't seem necessary and was not mentioned during my successful appraisal only 3 months ago.  One of things I will be doing is moving my money from Nest and putting it with one of their rivals as soon as my research is completed. If they can be ruthless with me, then I can be ruthless with my pension pot. It may be a small gesture but it is my gesture. A firm that can treat people this way is not a firm I want looking after my money.

August 5th, 2020


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It has been a long long time - Boston and New York 2022

Goodbye Cooperative Bank, it was nice knowing you

Funerals and birthdays - June 2024