A funny old month - Summer is over!?

It is mid September already, the temperature today is 14c, how did that happen. I was enjoying temperatures of 35c on the Costa Brava less than 3 weeks ago and now I am under a blanket on my sofa and flirting with my thermostat who clearly hasn't been touched for a while and is need of some attention but I refuse to give EON the benefit of my cold, a blanket and a hot cup of coffee are better than huge electric bills. The drop in temperatures in England have certainly increased my need to shop. I went to Habitat last week for one thing and ended up buying lots of things for my flat. I explained to my student last Sunday that I was nesting, though there will be no eggs in Spring. I guess what I am really doing is hibernating. 

This is a photo of where I was 3 weeks ago today. Warm and sunny on the Costa Brava.



Calella De Parafrugell


Yesterday we had another terrorist attack on the Underground and what amazes me is the first person to check on me was my Italian friend Illaria who lives in Barcelona.  London is so big that there can be a major incident in Putney and people in Fulham or Hammersmith can be oblivious because the disruption to the Tube is regular and usually signal failure or a person being taken ill, we get used to it, we shrug and our brains go into overdrive working out a new route. London life requires a lot of analyzing of transport maps. And remember that more people were hurt on the roads today in one hour than were hurt in the terrorist act yesterday and we cannot allow our politicians to use it to weaken our freedoms as this is what the terrorists want as well! 

Another theme for this week has been clowns and how so many people despise them or fear them but will go and see a horror movie about them! Even the trailer for 'It' scared the crap out of me. 

I discovered this week that one of my nephews is terrified of them and I only found out because I sent him a picture of a clown and he asked my sister to remove it! Naughty uncle Sean!




It reminded me of all our politicians so I am posting it here. 

It always amazes me that when a famous singer dies, there seems to be an endless catalogue of unreleased tracks that relatives (Yoko Ono for example), music execs, spurned lovers, etc. seem to find behind wardrobes and it is no different for George Michael, this month a song, a discarded B side apparently, is being released and it isn't too bad though it is clear that Nile Rodgers was heavily involved, Le Freak, say Chic...




So I am heading into central London, using the public transport as always because terrorists are simply bullies and I've never much paid heed of bullies. And the first thing I see when I arrive in central London is a lady carry a cat-box full of dirty clothes.  Marvelous! 


And remember, Good looks are a curse. You should count yourselves very lucky!


September 16, 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It has been a long long time - Boston and New York 2022

Goodbye Cooperative Bank, it was nice knowing you

Funerals and birthdays - June 2024