Living with cats and other observations

Living with cats

I'm enjoying a day off so after a few extra hours of sleep and a nice slow breakfast I headed out to be a tourist, a shopper, get my hair cut and meet some friends.  My day off is busier than a working day. During my hair cut, the hairdresser and me discussed how she has to have clothes for work and clothes and keeps them separate from everything else because of the hairs that get everywhere and are difficult to shift.  I told her about the two cats I am currently looking after and how their hairs are everywhere even though they are not allowed in my room but as they are all over my flatmates' clothes, they end up on mine etc.




She asked me about the cats and their personalities, I did laugh at that. Everyone thinks cats are great, I am indifferent. One of the cats is cute and friendly, the other one, the older, hates me, she growls at me whenever I get close and has cornered me once or twice in the hallway.  I look after them by feeding them, changing their toilet every few days and that is it. My flatmate treats them like babies and that is his prerogative and they treat him like a mother but I am sure they would eat him if he died in bed.  


That is what cats do!?

Americans order coffee

I know Starbucks is an American brand so the coffee is already Americanised but today made me laugh.  I was in a branch of Starbucks near Covent Garden, it is relatively quiet on a weekday, just as I like it, and in front of me was an American man about the same age as me, he had a golf shirt (Miami Beach Golf club....) and shorts, his Latino/Asian wife clearly was recovering from cosmetic surgery of the lips. She’d had a lip job and her lips were bigger than anything I’d ever seen.

The American man asked for a Latte then continued to explain to the barista how a Latte was made, coffee and milk he said, but the milk had to be hot, and the coffee, well that had to be coffee. It took ages for him to explain himself to the very patient barista. The barista went as far as asking what kind of milk, what sized cup etc.  The American man’s response was “well you gotta do what you gotta do”….. I think my order came as a relief as I order a medium black coffee, end of!

The two week hangover of Brexit

Well we haven’t left yet but our political parties are tearing themselves up and that’s before we even begin negotiations. We cannot begin negotiations with the EU until we formally request Article 50, negotiations. Now this is what Brexiters wanted, they wanted to leave the EU but they didn’t quite understand the ramifications, blinded by racism and faux patriotism they didn’t think about the economic consequences of uncertainty. Now we have uncertainty. Our currency has fallen 20% against the dollar and euro and some are claiming this will be good, it will boost our exports but as we are a net importer, everything we buy from overseas is now more expensive and this will hit everyone.  So we could have 2 years of this and our political class, cowardly as ever, are now using delaying tactics, they’ve insulted our EU allies and are hoping that the negotiations are easy. They won’t be, nor should they be! When someone makes a mistake, they need to learn from that mistake, sadly millions of us here in the UK will be impacted negatively by the negotiation phase and the Brexit itself.  Over the next few weeks a bunch of racist, europhobic Tories will decide which of the two women candidates will be our next prime minister.  This is otherwise known as a rock and a hard place.  The political class will be the ones who are least affected. What a shock!


Here is a smiley face as we need it right now!

My coaster on my work desk


July 8, 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It has been a long long time - Boston and New York 2022

Goodbye Cooperative Bank, it was nice knowing you

Funerals and birthdays - June 2024