New Year, New Old Me and New Old job

I entered 2015 in the very same place I entered 1995, dancing in Camden with friends; different friends but the friends from 1995 were people I just met in my early days in London, like the friends you make at University in the first term and try to escape in the 2nd. This new year's eve was spent with friends I have known many years and thankfully we didn't sing "auld langs eyne" (or maybe we did and the Prosecco/Vodka haze confused me). I think on January 1 1995 I slept on a mattress in a friend’s living room, this year I was in my own bed, warm and cozy  and no head spin.

And this is the random song of the evening (they played it twice):




2015 is only 3 days old and so much of it is already mapped out and familiar. In 2 weeks I start working in my old office in an almost identikit version of my last job, same people, same boss and same hours and part of me is excited and part of me is stressing about it. Are moves backward positive? Most people think not, self-help books talk of moving forward, not looking back and there’s me, going back to my old team, but screw self-help books, getting this job is self-help, I needed a job and there was a vacancy for a job I did for 7 years, the teaching experiment was not a complete failure or success, I couldn’t do it full time (and never have), doing it on the side, a few hours a week is perfect, my old-new job can pay the bills, the teaching is my holiday money.

Since New Year’s Eve I have not met up with anyone or socialized so it was a lovely surprise to randomly bump into someone I worked with 2 years ago. She was out shopping with her nieces and walked past the window of the café I was sitting in. London with its 8 million people is a random place and I love randomness like that; I just wish the lottery was as kind and random as that.

I hope 2015 will be kind to us all, 2014 wasn’t that good a year for many of us so 2015 has to be an improvement, I just wish the weather would improve.

The universe may not always give you what you want but it usually gives you what you need!

January 3, 2015




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It has been a long long time - Boston and New York 2022

Goodbye Cooperative Bank, it was nice knowing you

Funerals and birthdays - June 2024