Firework Craziness and San Juan

Greetings from Barcelona on the San Juan holiday. Last night was crazy. It is a night of fireworks and bonfires and cakes called Cocas.  


Cocas De San Juan

Here the idea of health and safety takes a backseat, kids as young as 3 were running around with fireworks in our street, setting off rockets and standing right next to them. I suspect the local A&Es were busy last night and I love fireworks but every time one of those kids let off a firework I cringed, as an uncle and teacher I dreaded what could happen as the parents stood around drinking beer looking on. Maybe I am too British about it, too boring but fireworks are wonderful to watch but even as an adult I would not feel comfortable handling them. The fireworks were going off until 3am at least and from 5 floors up the view was spectacular and from that distance I wouldn't see if any of the kids had their fingers blown off etc though I did hear a few screams and couldn't tell if they were of delight or pain. 

I think I will head to the beach later as everything is closed except for the bars and the Chinese shops.

A sharp-eyed friend of mine has pointed out that one of the Cocas looks as if it is decorated with a yellow swastika, it isn't but it is similar and all I can say is be thankful it isn't an image of Jesus or Mary or there would be another Spanish public  holiday Dia Del Coca De Inmaculada and the pope himself would be invited.

June 24, 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It has been a long long time - Boston and New York 2022

Goodbye Cooperative Bank, it was nice knowing you

Funerals and birthdays - June 2024